Rollcage Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's start with me

3 posters

Go down

Let's start with me Empty Let's start with me

Post by potterman28wxcv Sun 9 Feb - 0:02

I'm potterman28wxcv, the admin of this forum, and a huge fan of Rollcage  Very Happy  I've discovered it when I was 8, so I can say I have grown with that game (as well as some others, including Pokemon, Diablo 1 [I didn't understand a thing to English haha], and Descent:Freespace).
e M
I love action games, and I hate strategy games ; I play games to relax, not to hit my head against a wall, so I'm playing mostly hack'n'slash (I'm putting monsters against that wall !).

I used to be a Diablo fan until Diablo 3 came out, I'm now a Torchlight II fan, especially the mod Synergies who is like the Median XL of Diablo 1 : rebalancing the entire game, and adding much more fun. I've also created a steam group for playing Synergies on multiplayer, if you want to check it out : http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TL2_Synelites

In "real" life, I'm a student in a french engineering school about Maths and Informatics (ENSIMAG). I don't know yet where I wanna work, but I love everything that is abstract.. The more abstract it is, the more hungry I am ! Right now I'm finding myself very hungry with Language Theories, but that's another topic. I forgot to say, I'm French, but that's implicit.

See you on the tracks !
potterman28wxcv
potterman28wxcv
potterman28wxcv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Let's start with me Empty Re: Let's start with me

Post by Archangel Tue 29 Apr - 2:45

Descent? That brings up some memories... Do you mean the old MS-DOS game? They still advertise it: http://interplay.com/games/descent.php and at least one URL for downloading it, mentioned in 1995 readme file still exist: ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/msdos/games/interplay/  !!! I played it maybe in 1997, but I can not start a copy I have on my Win 7.

Now I play League of Legends and Spider Solitaire  Smile 

Back in 2001/2002/?  some refugee kids came in the neighborhood, trying to have fun on their 386 PC which was used in their improvised kiosk shop to account articles and help in sales. I had at least 486 ? so they were curious if there can be even more fun. They asked me for games and I remembered the two disks I saw as a free gift in some empty hardware boxes. One was Aliens versus Predator and another was Rollcage, both from 1999, and they tried them and found that the latter was much more fun. Since I had a stronger PC and trying to keep it up to date, it was natural that Rollcage was to be installed at my home. And was also natural for them to trick me in joining the game :)So 4 of us played on one keyboard and one monitor, screen split in 3, sitting on two chairs, and the one of us who was the worst was to give seat to the fourth player. Sometimes I was even second! After a year or two they moved on and left town. Rollcage remained a memory of some innocent but fun times. Until now... I just tried to give it a search - and lo!

I managed to install the game from the original disk, and it works fine, brings up memories, and the same angry feelings about some difficult tracks, like Park Life Evil or Very Mad . I practiced for an hour, and was driving like Ray Charles, total frustration, feeling is gone and the age took toll. But I am here to see if it happens that one Saturday night I may be idle and willing to give it a shot and play with some of the less skilled among you and try to revive some of the fun of those brief but fun days.

Have a nice weather and a dry track Smile

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unreal.2K7 Tue 29 Apr - 9:37

Nice story! Given that i believe this is currently the most active rollcage community around the internet, i wonder if you might find those guys among those playing here! Smile

Unreal.2K7
True Host

Back to top Go down

Post by potterman28wxcv Tue 29 Apr - 10:08

Archangel wrote:Descent? That brings up some memories... Do you mean the old MS-DOS game?

I didn't mean Descent 1 and 2 ; I meant Freespace, which is more a space opera, with an awesome lore and the most awesome dogfights I have ever seen. It's been updated by the SCP team (Source Code Project), and now it's awesome to play with some really cool graphics. If you take a look at the screenshot, you will really wonder if it has been photoshoped, but it's not.

Freespace SCP : http://www.hard-light.net/
And the screenshots : http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Screenshots (those in the end are the most recent)

It's a typical example of a game who has been reborn with modders, and now you have tons of campaigns to play, that means tons of story to discover.. if you like science fiction and dogfights, this is for you.

But back to Descent 1 and 2, I have played them, and I think you would be glad to learn that there is this : http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

It's a project to play Descent 1 and 2 with our recent computers. There are also some extra features, like resolutions adapted to our new screens.

But if you look to something more "heavily" modded and resource consuming, you have this one : http://www.descent2.de/d2x.html
This one implements new graphics effects to Descent, such as shaders, luminosity, smoke.. With many other features that I can't remember. Still, afaik it's only for Descent 2 - which is better than Descent 1 Smile -

Archangel wrote:Now I play League of Legends and Spider Solitaire  Smile 
Can't stand these games Sad in LoL I really hate the thing that you have to learn a lot before you can understand the game (that means you have to take some extra time to effectively play it), and in Spider Solitaire, well.. Is that a game Very Happy I could do the same with my own cards

Archangel wrote:
Back in 2001/2002/? some refugee kids came in the neighborhood, trying to have fun on their 386 PC which was used in their improvised kiosk shop to account articles and help in sales. I had at least 486 ? so they were curious if there can be even more fun. They asked me for games and I remembered the two disks I saw as a free gift in some empty hardware boxes. One was Aliens versus Predator and another was Rollcage, both from 1999, and they tried them and found that the latter was much more fun. Since I had a stronger PC and trying to keep it up to date, it was natural that Rollcage was to be installed at my home. And was also natural for them to trick me in joining the game :)So 4 of us played on one keyboard and one monitor, screen split in 3, sitting on two chairs, and the one of us who was the worst was to give seat to the fourth player. Sometimes I was even second! After a year or two they moved on and left town. Rollcage remained a memory of some innocent but fun times.

What an awesome story Smile I wish these kids have succeeded in their life now. Did you have any contact with them afterwards ? It's hard to recontact people when so many years have passed.. I have memories of having so much fun with my friends in my first school when I was something like 7 or 8, until I moved from the town and left them. Some years ago, I have tried to recontact them via Facebook but.. It wasn't really successful. There were way too many things that had passed since we were young and innocents.

Archangel wrote:I managed to install the game from the original disk, and it works fine, brings up memories, and the same angry feelings about some difficult tracks, like Park Life Evil or Very Mad . I practiced for an hour, and was driving like Ray Charles, total frustration, feeling is gone and the age took toll. But I am here to see if it happens that one Saturday night I may be idle and willing to give it a shot and play with some of the less skilled among you and try to revive some of the fun of those brief but fun days.

Well, it's a lot of fun on Saturday's, especially when we use the vocal chat Razz Compete only with the less skilled of us would be hard, because only some of us can host (the way the game handles network is kinda strange), so having one game is already great. And there wouldn't be enough players to have two games. But when there will be more, yeah why not set a room for the skilled, and a room for those who aren't really skilled.

Still, last time we played, there were 1 or 2 unskilled with us, so I think it would suit you. And anyway it's fun to play with the vocal chat, you have no idea of what can happen in there..

Anyway, as for every members, we would be glad to welcome you !
potterman28wxcv
potterman28wxcv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Tue 29 Apr - 15:49

potterman28wxcv wrote: If you take a look at the screenshot, you will really wonder if it has been photoshoped, but it's not.

Yeah, some of them are good enough for wallpapers.

potterman28wxcv wrote:I wish these kids have succeeded in their life now. Did you have any contact with them afterwards ?

I have found one of them recently, on Facebook, saw that he married and has a baby. Not sure if I will contact him right now. And the one most skillful with computers just disappeared, leaving no trace on the Web.

potterman28wxcv wrote:Well, it's a lot of fun on Saturday's, especially when we use the vocal chat

OK, will see what happens. Is it possible to communicate via Skype? I like my privacy and would rather not use Skype, just curious about tech issues.

Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Unreal.2K7 Tue 29 Apr - 16:06

Archangel wrote:Is it possible to communicate via Skype? I like my privacy and would rather not use Skype, just curious about tech issues.

Sure it is! We initially used skype for that, but then realized that steam allowed for voice chat, and that was better than having people needing to start skype / needing to install skype for every game.

Unreal.2K7
True Host

Back to top Go down

Post by potterman28wxcv Tue 29 Apr - 17:02

Archangel wrote:
Yeah, some of them are good enough for wallpapers.

I know right, that's why I'm actually using them as wallpapers Very Happy

Oh by the way, this one is on my steam avatar : http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/File:RScreen0004.jpg
potterman28wxcv
potterman28wxcv
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down